"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too." — Colossians 4:2-3 (NIV)
At Union Gospel Mission, we believe that prayer is essential to the vitality and mission of our organization. We firmly trust that prayer changes things in our world and it is our desire to foster a network of people devoted to praying for the transformation of our community, the health of our staff, and the effectiveness of our work.
Whether you’re a donor, a friend of UGM, or looking to partner with us in a tangible way, you can walk alongside those struggling with poverty, homelessness and addiction, as well as those serving in UGM ministries by participating in prayer. We trust that the following guides and areas of focus will inspire, encourage, and unite us together in our collective prayer, “on earth as it is in heaven."
Partner with us in Prayer
Each month, we will be featuring a specific ministry from UGM to lift in prayer, including a focus highlighting that ministry as well as prayer points, scripture and a written, accompanying prayer.
If you have any specific words of encouragement to share in response, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear from you.
“In fact, some parts of the body that seem weakest and least important are actually the most necessary. And the parts we regard as less honourable are those we clothe with the greatest care. So, we carefully protest those parts that should not be seen, while the more honourable parts do not require this special care. So, God has put the body together such that extra honour and care are given to those parts that have less dignity. This makes for harmony among the members, so that all the members care for each other. If one part suffers, all the parts suffer with it, and if one part is honoured, all the parts are glad. All of you together are Christ's body, and each of you is a part of it.” — 1 Corinthians 12:22-27
When someone walks through the doors at Union Gospel Mission, the first place most folks find themselves is UGM's Reception Desk. Open 24/7 it is a forward-facing ministry providing vital support to our community by connecting them with the services they need most.
At Reception, community members can speak to someone who will help them meet their needs as best as they can. This can range from being referred to Outreach Workers, receiving warm clothing or simply using a clean, safe restroom.
UGM's Reception staff members are some of the most compassionate, empathetic, and hard-working people you could meet. They work tirelessly to provide care and connection for our community members amidst incredibly difficult situations, often acting as first responders in crisis. They are the bedrock of our mission at UGM: to love and serve our community as Christ would.
1. Staffing — we are hiring a front desk worker. Please pray God brings someone who desires to serve this community with compassion and competence.
2. Our community struggles with mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual concerns. Pray for resources that meet their unique needs to bring healing where it is needed. Pray for peace and an end to their suffering.
3. The emotional, mention, and physical well-being of front desk staff, especially when working evenings and overnight when resources are limited. The team receive stories of suffering, witness medical emergencies, and have difficult interactions with our community. Not having the capacity to help with every need is hard. Please pray for our ability to serve the needs of the community, and for staff's safety and rest.
Today, I pray for those working at Reception at Union Gospel Mission. Those who care for the marginalized, the sick and the broken. Who put themselves at risk each day to serve your kingdom and the people you love.
We pray that into their fear, you would breathe peace, Loving God.
Into their tiredness, you would breathe rest of mind, rest of body, and rest of spirit.
Into the brokenness of humanity and those living in poverty in Vancouver, we pray that you would breathe radical restoration and healing in their lives.
In the name of Jesus, the one who seeks the ninety-nine and whose ear is attuned to injustice, we pray.
“Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere.” — Ephesians 6:18
This month’s feature looks a little different, as we seek out a consistent shroud of prayer over our organization!
UGM is prayerfully seeking one or two prayer champions that are impassioned to create a team that will consistently pray for UGM, our staff, and the people we serve. The person(s) will have a missional passion where prayer is their primary ministry focus and will act as a servant leader(s) to a team that meets consistently to specifically provide prayer over UGM.
If you have a desire to serve in this capacity of spiritual stewardship, please review the following traits we are seeking that you may find helpful in the discerning process:
- Someone who is Christ-centered, understands the Gospel and is aligned with the ministries of Union Gospel Mission
- Someone with the skills to facilitate respectful dialogue and embrace various expressions of prayer
- Someone has a deep well of compassion for those facing marginalized situations
- Someone who is aware of their own biases and is willing to share the graces and the challenges of their life with both vulnerability and healthy boundaries
- Someone who will commit to pray regularly – and formulate a consistent team of prayer champions that are committed to meet regularly (online and in-person) and pray specifically for UGM missions, staff, and the people and communities UGM serves
If you sense a call to serve in this significant ministry for both prayer and praise, or have any questions at all, please reach out to our team at email@example.com.
“What matters is not your outer appearance — the styling of your hair, the jewelry you wear, the cut of your clothes — but your inner disposition. Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in.” — 1 Peter 3:3-4 (MSG)
Located near Mission, BC, Lydia Home is UGM’s 3–12-month live-in recovery program for women in the Fraser Valley. Here, women can receive trauma-informed counselling, develop new habits, and be challenged to transform their ways of thinking to experience healing from past trauma.
This is an intimate addiction recovery journey that surrounds those at Lydia Home with compassionate, like-minded women that help make participants feel comfortable and at ease.
It is a place where women can pursue a life free from addiction and full of joy, belonging, and God’s unconditional forgiveness and love.
1. The team at Lydia Home are praying for a full-time recovery worker as well as a few on-call workers to join the team. They would greatly appreciate prayers for God to send the right people their way.
2. Continued future growth and prosperity in UGM’s endeavors in the Fraser Valley.
Lord, we thank you for walking with us and illuminating our path even when we don’t know exactly where to go next. Our strength lies with you alone. We humbly ask that you lead the team at Lydia Home in guidance, direction, clarity, and wisdom into your truth. We pray that you would be raising up experienced and godly leaders in the Fraser Valley that will apply to work at Lydia Home and greatly benefit the community there. We pray that you would be the lamp unto the feet of those working at UGM, for we know that it is only by your providence that we are able to have clarity in our situations.
For the love of others and in the name of Jesus Christ we pray.
“Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not faint.” — Isaiah 40:28-31
UGM’s New Westminster Resource Center is an extension of our ministry around Metro Vancouver. Providing services like life-skills workshops, meal programs, tax assistance, the Alpha course and more, UGM New West works to provide connection to life-changing resources to the local community.
Lately, the team has been dealing with several changes in various areas of operation and outreach. In this area, they would appreciate prayers for clarity during these transitions as well as wisdom in determining the vision for the Resource Center in this next season.
1. That the New West team would find God’s strength and wisdom to deal with ongoing needs and demands of their work
2. God’s leading amid transitions and vision going into this next season of ministry
3. For the general health needs of the staff so that they would be able to sustain effective outreach to the community
Gracious God, the only source of life, health and strength. We pray that you would help the team at Union Gospel Mission New Westminster. Be with them, comfort them and relieve them from any unhealthy burdens. Give your power of healing to those who minister to the needs of others, that our weakness may be turned into strength and confidence in your loving care.
For the love of others and in the name of Jesus Christ we pray.
Prayer Requests from UGM Recovery Program Participants
- Andrew – dealing with anxiety related to keeping his housing while in treatment
- Evan – high anxiety and knee pain (trying to participate in running program)
- Damian – searching for housing post program – needs a place by mid-April
- Christopher – commencing medications for bi-polar condition – often suicidal
- Micah – concern about his breathing due to COPD. He is trying to participate in the running program but is struggling
*names have been changed to protect confidentiality